Sunday 17 March 2013

Hold on to your dream


I intended to write about overcoming anger but was inspired to write this instead. Let me begin with a small story I heard when I was a child. A princess gets cursed by a witch and is put to sleep. The only way the spell gets broken is by true love’s first kiss. After a lot of hurdles and a climax fight with the witch the prince finally kisses the princess and she wakes up. They get married and they live happily ever after.

Sounds familiar?

Well I grew up say 2.2 decades thinking this is exactly how my life would be when I meet my Prince Charming. Three days into my marriage I decided to sue the man who wrote the book. Happily ever after??!?! Who was he kidding? Either the man was a bachelor all his life or was a sadist. (Humor intended).

I have a very good married life but it did not happen in a day!! I had to work really REALLY hard to get my marriage to what it is now. I had to change a lot of myself and my hubby contributed a lion’s share and now we are at a stage where we can truly call ourselves happily married.

The reason I quoted this example here is everything in life starts with trials. When we go through trials we come out stronger. If we know this beforehand it can save us a lot of crying, complaining, throwing tantrums, “Why me” questions and “How to get out of this as quickly as possible” questions.

When we grow up as pampered kids it is very easy to think “Life is easy and I’ll get my way always”. Our parents can really set us up for trouble when they pamper us too much. And if you are marrying a naval officer let me assure you, you would have some serious growing up to do.

But that doesn't mean one thing – Giving up on your dream.

Life can be tough at times. It is easy to think, “Alright nothing is ever going to go my way so let me stop trying”. Even if you overcome this thought pattern there is always the friendly enemy who says “hey you are not fit for that” or “that is so impractical, don’t even try it” or “you were so useless till now, what makes you think you’d succeed?” or some equally encouraging statements.

The point of this post is to encourage you to – Find your dream, nurture it, allow life to teach you its lessons and in the end get to see your dream come to fruition.

Finding your dream

Many people spend their lives earning money to buy what they don’t want, to impress the people they don’t like. Life is limited. Even with medical advances and healthy lifestyle we all can touch only ten decades. I pray that God will direct you to a very clear non-corrupted-by-the-world dream.

We all would like to be shooting stars. Fast, flashy, attractive, something everyone looks at in awe and admiration. But a shooting star is of no use to anyone. It is the non-glamorous, reliable star – The Sun which is useful. It always gives light, warmth, life sustenance and much more. God always has a purpose for your life that will bless you and make you a blessing for others. Choose what you want to be – a shooting star or a sun.

Nurturing your dream – This means not letting it lie around carelessly. It means not getting so preoccupied with settling in life that you forget to live it. It means turning a deaf ear to people who have stopped believing in their dreams. You have a dream; you better hold onto it.

Allow life to teach you its lessons – Nothing good comes without a high price. When God has put a dream in your heart He also has some costly lessons to teach you before you achieve it. Whenever a difficult situation arises instead of becoming restless to get out of it – Ask if there is a lesson in it for you to learn.

This is where you and I can get SO DOWN by our circumstances that we can hardly move forward. But the truth is - while we are concerned about how fast we get the things we want, God is concerned about how strong we grow to do the things we were created for. Remember God creates the mushroom in a day but he takes years to create the mighty oak.

Once you start learning from life you will also discover – you were made for others. This is a very counter-culture idea, not so popular in the world. The world says “Take it. You deserve it” but God says “Give. Do to others as you would have them do to you”. Great souls that lived on this world had two things in common – One, they went through tremendous struggles before they saw their dreams come true. Two, they always lived for others.

Trust me when I say this. If you honestly set yourself to help others God will somehow give you opportunities to do it. None of your good works go unnoticed by God. In fact the good works that you do in secrecy, that you receive no appreciation for; these are the works that will fetch maximum rewards from God. Only you can do the work God has kept for you. Nobody else is perfectly equipped like you. If you don’t do it, it would never get done.

Ever wondered why we weren't given wings to fly? It is because God never intended us to do it all and have it all. He intended us to live a simple, sincere, God-fearing life in the sphere of influence that we have. He intended us to search Him out and find Him, not be busy living the high life.

When we get what we dreamed of; we would realize that the dream was not the most important thing but the journey it took to reach there. Our character is what will remain with us throughout eternity; not our wealth, career or contacts. So as God the great sculptor molds you and makes you through life’s lessons, be patient and remember to hold onto your dream.

Happy Journey.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished reading your blog and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it.It is well-written and contained sound, practical advice:) In fact, I have already benefited from your previous articles. You pointed out several things that I will remember for years to come :)Thank you so much :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome :) Your comments always make me smile :) It’s a blessing to have you reading my blog and taking time to write in. I thank God for you.

      Delete
  2. Such a brilliant piece of writing. Enjoyed reading every bit of it. How beautifully u have penned down golden words. :) happy to find u

    ReplyDelete